May 27, 2015

My Top 5 Japanese Animated Movies

My love for anything Japanese is at an all-time high during vacation. With nothing to do all day, I'm productive at finishing tons of Japanese animated movies and anime a day. I don't watch TV, so tweets about Forevermore aren't something I could relate to. Compared to American-made movies, Japanese movies center on the plot itself - nothing too extravagant in terms of drawing and music, just the feel-good kind perfect for relaxing. You won't be expecting to feel heavy in the end during the course of the movie, but they have a way to make you. You will grieve, I tell you.

1. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time



Poor animation, but I could attest that this has the most mind-blowing plot for an animated film! I like movies that cracks your brain the most (i.e. Inception for American movie, Sherlock for American series, Secret for Korean movie). You'd be wishing you were the protagonist, having the power to correct mistakes from the past through time-travelling. But y'know, for every good thing, there's always a price to pay.

2. Spirited Away

For anyone who's down for adventure movies, nothing beats Spirited Away. Bizarre plot, weird characters appearing here and there, but full of lessons and values. It bends the norm that kids should always listen to their parents. Because sometimes, we could make the right decision too.

3. From Up on Poppy Hill

Of all Studio Ghibli films, I'd say this is the most normal - no cat bus, no fish princess, no broom stick, no floating castles, no talking fire. It features the love story of two students as they try to save their school clubhouse, and everything's going smoothly until they learned they're keeping the same picture of their hot dead father.

4. Howl's Moving Castle

Reason to watch Howl's Moving Castle: super gorgeous narcissist leading man. I know, I know. I'm very partial when there's a smoking hot character in the movie. Well, who isn't? Kinda gives an extra tug to the heart when romantic scenes happen if the drawing's appealing. 

I'm an avid fan of Studio Ghibli, and choosing my faves took a considerate amount of time for deliberation. But Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are the best adventure movies ever made by any studio! Everything's just so out of the box!

5. Wolf Children

If you're having an emotional crisis, never watch this unless you want to reach rock bottom. I watched The Girl Who Leapt Throught Time then Wolf Children, wanting to entertain myself and just feel better. No one gave me the heads up that those two movies would give me further emotional torture. It's about a mother trying to raise her two wolf children after his hot wolf husband died. (Why must hot fathers always die?!) If you can't see how much our mothers have done for us until now, this movie would be your eye opener.



@poladr

Copyright © Pola dela Rosa
Design by Blog Oh! Blog