Oct 15, 2015

Going North: Vigan


From La Union, we drove for 4-5 hours heading Vigan. The adrenaline rush from finally getting a firm grasp on my dream travel destination is indescribable! Old heritage houses, calesa, cobblestone street.. It's like an entirely different era. I've only had an image of the Spanish period from my history class in high school, and as how it was described by Dr. Jose Rizal in his book Noli me Tangere and El Filibusterismo. 

Vigan has brought to life the past for us who failed to experience first-hand the way of life during Spanish Colonial period.

Before landing on the town proper, along the national highway stood the Bantay Belfry which is a bell tower that served as a defense from possible incoming enemies (probably why it's called 'bantay'). I'm no history buff and just really enjoys the view, so let's all do our separate researches lol.


There was a commanding view of Vigan atop the tower, but the tower itself is just a small space so tourists have to take turns.

And to the city proper...

Ah, I really find so much beauty in the old! But I just can't help thinking of this house at night and a woman staring at you, all dressed in white and following you with her eyes. *chills*

A sea of people starts to gather at Calle Crisologo by noon, so we took the liberty of capturing the empty streets while we still can. This was around 8am.

What could scream 'nationalistic' more than wearing the colors of the flag. 

The place is so preserved that even fast food restaurants were designed to still give you the antique feels.

I like anything flavoured green (I eat food based on color lol), and I'm not giving this avocado flavoured sorbetes a pass.

To put your Vigan experience on another level, you can visit the different tourist spots on a calesa. They offer pre-set destinations like Bantay Belfry, Marcos Museum, Pagburnayan, Plaza Burgos, Hidden Garden, etc. One ride costs 100 php. 

 I seriously wouldn't mind wearing a Filipiniana dress with a dainty fan on hand while commuting on a calesa to school. The exact definition of tiis ganda.

We stayed in Mojica Residencia Hotel, which is walking-distance from Calle Crisologo and has wifi (we all know internet is a top priority lol). It was quite pricey considering we just stayed there for one night. 

We visited Baluarte next, a  mini zoo where ostriches, deers, ponies and other friendly animals are roaming around.

There was an ongoing show of a wild boar, which was apparently really entertaining since all ages had taken the seats. Too bad we didn't get to watch it.

"Uy pa-picture daw bro!"
"Ayoko bro, na-capture mo na kasi ang puso ko."

"Bro.."
"Bro.."

*Making my way downtown, walking fast, faces passed and I'm home bound~*

It was around 1PM and frying myself on a pony ride wasn't on my list to try in Vigan, but my sister needed an adult companion and y'know, I'm always the selfless sister. Sometimes.

One ride around Baluarte costs 40php, I think.


We had lunch around 3pm in Hidden Garden, which is literally hidden since it was far from the usual tourist spots and literally a garden. The name was given so much thought. Kudos.


Cheesy photo op for my parents.


Their Binagoongan Rice and Sizzling Bagnet Sisig (255php). Bagnet Sisig is one of the must-try foods in Vigan, but I really tasted nothing special, just a bigger chunks of meat.


We went back to Calle Crisologo to buy some souvenirs, and the mass of people started to get thick already. 


Another mode of transportation aside from calesa rides.

I bought the "It's more fun in Vigan" shirt!


Of course I was saying, "Piw, picture-an mo ko. Kunyari stolen."

The church in Plaza Burgos. There was an ongoing mass and we would've attended if not for my wearing of shorts. It was unplanned, don't condemn me!

The highlight of my whole Vigan trip: the dancing fountain at Plaza Burgos. The water danced to the beat of different songs, one of it was even Let it Go. 

NEVER. EVER. MISS. IT. WHEN IN VIGAN. 

And as if Vigan isn't already majestic enough in the morning, it's even better at night! 

@poladr

Copyright © Pola dela Rosa
Design by Blog Oh! Blog